Cannon Branch Fort
Addresses10611 Gateway Boulevard
Manassas, VA 20110
Artifacts indicate that this site may have been used as a seasonal base camp by Native Americans. To date, 17 Native American archaeological sites have been identified within a two-mile radius of the Cannon Branch Earthwork Fort site.
Although no specific references to Cannon Branch Fort have yet been found in historical documentation, it appears likely that the fortification was built by Union troops, circa 1863-1864, as part of a series of forts along the railroad to defend supply lines. Once the town of Warrenton, Virginia was secured by Union forces in April 1863, Major General Joseph Hooker began to use the Orange and Alexandria Railroad as a major supply route for his army.